Summer Infant Incorporated, a company that makes infant health and safety products, has recalled 1.7 million baby monitors, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The recall was apparently done as the result of two recent deaths associated with the video baby monitors. In Washington, a 10-month old girl died of strangulation caused by the cords of a video baby monitor on March 10, 2010. In South Carolina, a 6-month old boy died of strangulation caused by the cords of a monitor that was placed on a changing table in November, 2010.
Since 2004, there have been seven total reported cord strangulations due to video baby monitors in the United States. The monitors were all originally manufactured in China. Summer Infant Incorporated sold them all in the United States for $60-$300.
Fewer than one percent of video baby monitors sold in the United States are sold without cords, so this is a widespread problem. As a result, Summer Infant Incorporated is currently doing an education campaign to inform parents on the proper, safe use of the cords. Summer Infant is also recalling a series of Slim and Secure Video Monitors with Reschargeable Batteries. Apparently the batteries have been rupturing, causing injuries.
If your child or the child of somebody you know has been injured by either of these products (or another product), contact Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Attorney Anthony Quackenbush. He handles all types of personal injury cases, including products liability cases. His website can be found at http://www.southflinjury.com.